Mir Ahmed, a colleague and member of the Defence Team of Mir Quasem Ali in Bangladesh, War Crimes Tribunal, was abducted last week. Mir Ahmed is a member of the Bar of England and Wales and the Bangladesh Bar. He is an essential member of the international defence team in Dhaka on the war crimes trials and his father is Mir Quasem Ali who has been convicted by the Bangladesh Tribunal under the most appalling circumstances and is facing execution in a matter of weeks.
On 12 August 2016, Toby Cadman submitted an Urgent Communication to the following UN institutions, asking for urgent support:
- United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (Working Groups on Arbitrary Detention and Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances),
- The Special Rapporteur on the Independence of Judges and Lawyers,
- The Special Rapporteur on the Situation of Human Rights Defenders,
- The Special Rapporteur on the Promotion of and Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms While Countering Terrorism,
- The Special Rapporteur on Torture.
We are calling for public support by our friends and colleagues from the international legal profession to highlight the most recent attack on the legal profession in Bangladesh.